Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio: Final Exam Frame #2

Writing is a fundamental part of life when it is used and challenged in diverse ways. That is where you will find yourself becoming a better and stronger writer. Optimism One states that working together with other people is healthy. When writing and functioning together with people, it helps you to improve your writing skills. He backs up his opinion with a great quote from Peter Elbow that basically says finding people to read and critique your work is beneficial when working with an open mind mentality. Naturally, working with other minds creates inspirational pieces of art. I feel you can relate this to many aspects of life. For example, businesses and companies come together all the time to discuss situations and problems. To try to work out and negotiate complications, to come to a conclusion, and to improve and please everyone’s needs.

This brings me to how Optimism One’s views apply to my personal experience with writing this quarter. During writing 101, we posted all of our work to a blog website. When coming together during class, we were assigned to read other student’s blogs and do peer review. I felt like this was very helpful and I also was eager to peer review my classmates’ work to help point out to them their weaknesses and strengths. A result of writing 101 brought an atmosphere of trust among all of us as students. I say this because I took their criticism to my work seriously. I felt like I was able to write and no one was going to look down on me. Instead they would bring me up by helping me with trying to improve what I was writing. I hope that I benefited them as well and over all, we challenged each other to become better writers.

Another great example of this in Writing 101 was when we did essay #3. Essay #3 was a class debate and everyone was divided into groups of three to four in each group. Out of all the assignments I did this quarter, I felt like essay #3 was the most enjoyable. When working together, it brought so much more creativity and quality to the table than if I were to just work by myself. We all brainstormed together and came up with many ideas that benefited our group. It also helped me to become more open minded when working. I realize that everyone is intelligent in their own unique ways and when we come together to work, the diversity is a positive attribute, especially because everyone in my group was willing to work together.

It takes a great amount of maturity to be able to work together while maintaining a positive environment. I have personally accomplished this and it is one reason I take pleasure in being accountable to working together. I agree with everything that Optimism One states in his passage so there is no room for disagreement. Although there are many people that are very strongly opinionated, it is always possible to work together and have democratic privileges. If everyone was willing to get along and work together, in particular to using writing talents, than this world would definitely be a better place.

No comments: