Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Writing Philosophy - Portfolio

What is My Writing Philosophy?

I personally feel like I have not been able to grasp the full ability of my writing philosophy just yet. I feel like I have so much to learn about my writing philosophy and I am really looking forward to it. There is a part of a definition of the word philosophy that states "the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, especially with a view to improving or reconstituting them". This really intrigues me because I have always thought of ways of improvement, ways of strengthening my writing skills. Writing is a long journey because there is always room for improvement.

Writing is a form of art and it opens up imagination and ideas that you are able to put to paper. When we post our assignments for writing class on the blogger website, it shows a form of art as we express the aptitude of our intelligence. We are able to go in depth to any extent we desire and while accomplishing this, anyone from all over the world has access to read what we post on our websites. The thought of that amazes me and it is a great experience to be apart of.

My personal experience with my Writing Philosophy is very significant. Growing up, I didn't always have an emotionally stable household. When I was younger and experiencing these family issues, my natural instinct was to hide it away in a journal, to put my deepest feelings and secrets to paper. I wrote in journals for years about almost everything. Writing develops a better understanding from many angles. When my father had found my journals and mischievously read through them, he was able to relate to me better, knowing what was going through my head and how I felt about the same issues that he was going through as well. When writing, it can develop understanding for both the author and the audience and that is exactly what was accomplished between my dad and I.

Once I started realizing my writing philosophy, I experienced self growth as well as self actualization. I say this because everyone has a million thoughts running through their heads and when you write, you are able to embrace some of those intense thoughts and it is a fascinating experience. Writing is giving and receiving information that you can be compelled to share with others; whether it is emotional, intellectual, or spiritual. Writing is a world of its own.

No comments: